Monday, January 12, 2009

I Resolute

I Resolute is all about me making a conscious decision to make 5 changes in my life in 2009 that I 100% intend to stick with. In other words, I have made 5 New Years Resolutions. Each has a different meaning and there is a large variety of them, but I thought inorder to get this started I needed to look at what a "Resolution" is defined as, so I turned to good ol' dictionary.com and here is what it read



Res⋅o⋅lu⋅tion 
[rez-uh-loo-shuhn]
–noun
1. a formal expression of opinion or intention made, usually after voting, by a formal organization, a legislature, a club, or other group.
2. a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
3. the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.
4. the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.
5. the act or process of resolving or separating into constituent or elementary parts.
6. the resulting state.



I must say that #3 hit the nail on the head because when it comes to making a resolution you have to First, state what it is that you intend to do, Secondly be as specific as possible about what all your resolution intails, Third lay out a plan of action to make sure you do not faulter, and Lastly care out your plan.



Resolutions certainly aren't easy, but it's pretty obvious that we make them because we've taken stock of our lives and noticed the areas where we are falling short of our own expectations of ourself. No matter how big are small, it's important to stick to a resolution once you've dedicated yourself to move forward with it.



So hear it is... NUMBER ONE

I RESOLUTE to Not buy Celebrity magazines at the grocery store on a weekly basis this year.



Okay... so many of the women reading this are probably laughing out loud at this right now, but I have completely fallen victim to caring way too much about the lives of people I do not even know, and as a matter of fact I'm not actually learning more about them by reading the gossip magazines because all that is in them is some really great fabrications from journalists who are great at making up fiction.



I'm undeniably a PEOPLE mag. junkie... my roommates and I even had a subscription sent to the apartment at college and we read it weekly. It always came on Thursday evenings and we'd all read it by Saturday. Either way, I have just made teh choice to stop caring so much about these people that aren't a part of my life and spending that newly freed up time calling up family and talking to them instead. Now, I have to be upfront with you all that I'm not saying I won't occansionally pick one up on a plane ride or over vacation in FL this coming summer, but I'm making a conscious choice to not buy them and not use them as a crutch as something to fill my spare time with. Time is too easily wasted!



So that's my number one! Four more to come this week!



Leave me your comments, Do y'all have resolutions started yet this year????

1 comment:

currifa said...

Kaylan, I love your first resolution of the new year! I know that you love your gossip magazines and that it will be hard to let go of them. I know that you can do it though. I guess on one hand it is sad though that you are laying down the gossip mags and picking up the business bags. I guess we grow up even when we dont won't too. I love reading your blogs keep up the great blogging!!!