Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Seriously? What are they thinking?

I'm 22 and in a pretty long-term relationship so I would say, hopefully, most of y'all would agree that after dating 3 years its not that illogical for me to think about the future, right? I like thinking about whether we would make good parents together, how our personalities would show through in our parenting styles, and what it would be like to raise children together. I try to be realistic and think ahead b/c those things are important, and I truly can't wait to have a family way down the road. I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with that. Anyways, I like to watch how other people parent-- friends, family, total strangers-- and take in the things that I find useful to do or not do one day.

I don't know if any of y'all are familar with the new TLC show Toddlers & Tiaras, but it's interesting. Most of the time its like a horrible accident that you just can't turn your eyes away from, but sometimes I have seen a flip side to the fake eyelashes, orange spray tans, bad 80s hair and over done make-up that these infant-12 yr olds are doning. Some parents want there girls to just have fun, and they skip the fake stuff and just stick with hair curled at the ends and a pretty dress up gown. (I commend the parents that don't look at their daughters as Barbies) I have at times thought, "Aww- that's cute!" when they show a 6 month old fast asleep in her huge, frilly, pink pagent dress and a big flower hairband on being judged- seems pretty harmless. But an article I read today kind of has changed my opinion once again.

**Places just one foot on the soap box..And Begins..-- I'm intrigued not infuriated :) **

An article from Newsweek is titled "Generation Diva: How our obsession with beauty is changing our kids." I hit panic mode as I read this article, y'all. [I realize I've been focusing a lot on kids this week, and I know some people may say, " Why would I read something you suggest? You don't have kids. You are still a kid. You don't have a clue what it's like." And that's all true. But what I know is what I see.. so I keep sharing :)] Here is a few snipets of the article:

But this, my friends, is the new normal: a generation that primps and dyes
and pulls and shapes, younger and with more vigor. Girls today are salon vets
before they enter elementary school.--- And instead of shaving their legs the
old-fashioned way—with a 99-cent drugstore razor—teens get laser hair removal,
the most common cosmetic procedure of that age group.

Four years ago, a survey by the
NPD
Group
showed that, on average, women began using beauty products at 17.
Today, the average is 13—and that's got to be an overstatement. According to
market-research firm Experian, 43 percent of 6- to 9-year-olds are already using
lipstick or lip gloss; 38 percent use hairstyling products; and 12 percent use
other cosmetics.

"My daughter is 8, and she's like, so into this stuff it's unbelievable,"
says
Anna
Solomon
, a Brooklyn social worker. "From the clothes to the hair to the
nails, school is like No. 10 on the list of priorities."(Is she seriously OK
with this?!- Here's an IdEa.. dont buy it for her!)

It's been estimated that girls 11 to 14 are subjected to some 500 advertisements a day—the majority of them nipped, tucked and airbrushed to perfection. And, according to a University of Minnesota study, staring at those airbrushed images from just one to three minutes can have a negative impact on girls' self-esteem.

If tweens can be convinced they need to spend to perfect their already
youthful skin, it's hard to imagine what they'll believe at 40. And with all the
time they'll spend thinking about it, it's even harder to imagine all they're
missing along the way.

If these things are true.. I think I need to think a little longer about how to be a Christian parent in this type of culture. I seriously applaude every single one of y'all who have daughters, and sons, who you are trying to teach Who is important in this world, and that they are important just the way He created them... While going up against a very large battle out there in the world.

I can't wait to have girls (Ankoo claims I'm doomed to have 4 boys because I want girls and boys so bad) to play dress up with, but not so they can be glamorous and "sexy"! Why would a parent want their 5yr old to look sexy?! OMG! Seriously? *Sigh* It seems like a useless battle, but we all have to teach kids that this is far from normal... and just pray that one day things will flip back to normal!

Who knows, when I was 10 yrs old bellbottoms and peasant shirts came back in to style for a good 5 yrs.. so maybe all this beauty obsession will be a passing phase! It's in his hands, but I did just want to pass along the article to anyone interested. Go to Newsweek: Genereation Diva to have a quick read for yourselves!
*removes foot from soap box, & smiles*
Back to the grind!
Love x Infinity-- KK

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I've watched that show a few times, it definitely teaches you how NOT to parent!!!
It kills me that they put fake teeth on their 7 yr olds. CHILDREN ARE MEANT TO LOSE THEIR TEETH!!!

Anyway......
it is challenging raising a daughter in this culture. Communication is the key!