Saturday, May 16, 2009

Cheater Cheater Brussel Sprout Eater

Don't ya love quick delicious dinners? I know I do! And what better day than Saturday?

We spent the day out at the Antique Fairs around town and wanted something quick, but half healthy for dinner!

Ankoo's Pick: Hot Dogs!
My Pick: Brussel Sprout Hash!
A typical "us" dinner! Ankoo loves "marinating" the hot dogs in Zesty Italian Dressing.. I like mine plain! Then he grills them for us while I take care of the sides.


I just had to pass along the Brussel Sprout Hash recipe to all of yall to try. I've cooked it a lot lately because I've decided out of nowhere to start loving brussel sprouts. Strange considering I use to "hate" brussel sprouts. [It was one of the two things I had in my head that I hated as a kid without ever trying them!... The other was chicken liver and gizzards.. and I've yet to try those] The original recipe uses bacon, but I like to leave it out depending on what dish it is accompanying.

Recipe for Bacon & Brussel Sprout Hash
Ingredients

Extra-virgin olive oil
4 slices of thick-cut bacon
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 lb of fingerling potatoes, split down the middle
2 cups Brussel sprouts, cut into thick slices
1/2 lb red pearl onions, peeled
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Set a large saute pan over medium heat and add a 2 count of olive oil. Cut the bacon into long strips and add to pan together with thyme. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes to render the fat then strain and set aside. Discard half the fat in the pan then add brussel sprouts, potatoes and pearl onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook until slightly browned. Add chicken stock and steam for 3 to 5 minutes until liquid has evaporated and vegetables are tender. Add balsamic vinegar and toss to coat. Cook until balsamic has reduced then fold in fresh parsley and bacon. Eat Up!



I decided to cheat a little tonight add use BirdsEye Steamed Brussel Sprouts because they were all I could find and they were delicous to add in to the potatoes and onions after I steamed them for 4 mins first. I also substituted half of a vidalia onion for red peral onions. Either way will be delicious! Let me know if your kids try it too :)

Love Always & Hopes for Great Eats!
Kaylan

No comments: