Wednesday, June 10, 2009

In the words of a Sherriff

As I mentioned on Monday, I had the joy a week ago of meeting a few of the local sherrifs in my area, and they were some of the funniest nicest people I've met around here.

Despite the reason we were meeting at the time, I've come to think that HE was the reason we were meeting. It sounds a little out there to think that He had a hand in bringing sherrifs out to my house, but not to me.

These two sherrifs that I met together were both kind, and polite men... with some great since of humors. Ankoo and I both enjoyed talking with them and at one point we got on the conversation of the types of people that they had to deal with on a daily/nightly basis. After joking around about some of the incidents and crazies in the area (apparently one couple claimed they HAVE to drive in the middle of the road going 50 in a 30 because a month ago..when they use to drive the "right way" a deer hit them... so now its "safer" to drive in the middle so they can see the deer...) one of the sherrifs made a very profounf statement.

He said, "We all should drive with the knowledge that all of the other people on the road ARE more important than us." He laughed a little, but then said that he really did meant it because if we were to go out in to the word with a little less selfish attitude we would be more prone to be more responsible in the ways that we act and treat others-- with a little more kindness, and a lot less hostility.

This little comment has stuck with me. Like Super glue.

This little tip for the road is a fact that SHOULD transfer over into our daily lives. It should be a way of living life. Remembering that all of the people in the world are more important that us.

That doesn't mean you need to go out and get walked on... but maybe you should find away to be okay with getting your feet stepped on a little. What I mean is, you shouldn't be so afraid to get close to strangers just because it may not turn out the way you intended. Going out and sharing your life and Christian beliefs is frightening, but despite it being frightening it's what I know I'm here to do.

I was reading this post from Angie called "Her, Here" this morning and it just fits with what's going on in my head so perfectly. She mentions doing the little things, like leaving out a few cold drink for the garbage man every week during the summer, and praying for each of her neighbors. The little things that you can do locally are just as important as going out and serving around the world. Angie is such an amazing encouragement. She says, "The point is, we are supposed to look different than the rest of the world."

There should be no fear in being who we were created to be. We were created in God's likeness, and therefore are meant to go out into the world with with humble hearts and a kind touch.

I want to work on being that type of woman here in my home town even though I'm still feeling lead to figure out where else God is leading me to. I know that God led those sherrifs to me to instill those words in my mind, just as he led me to Angie's words this morning. He is the Almighty and the one I live my life in awe of. Bless Each of You today.

All my Love,
KK

No comments: